[sf-lug] sf-lug Digest, Vol 29, Issue 19

RBV GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 11 08:43:23 PDT 2008

> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Date: Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM
> Subject: Re: help with the Microsoft Windows virtualization> By comparison,
> native-Linux Win32 compatibility layers are much, much lighter-weight and
> cause compatible Win32 applications to mostly just behave like truly native
> Linux apps.
>
> See:
> o  WINE

As one whose work compels them to run Adobe FrameMaker and
full-featured Acrobat (as differentiated from Reader) on a daily
basis, I'll add in passing that Wine runs FrameMaker 7 (but not 8)
tolerably well BUT -- I could never make Wine interoperate with
Postscript fonts, especially in a workflow where FrameMaker uses
Acrobat to generate PDFs that contain Postscript fonts.

It's for that reason that I continue to endure some of the less
positive aspects of the free VMware Server to run FrameMaker and
Acrobat under W2K Pro.  Note that I'm NOT saying that Wine absolutely
can't somehow be made to support FrameMaker-Acrobat-Postscript fonts,
it's just that after several failed tries (which sometimes included
watching Wine "explode" in the attempt) I decided VMware Server was
the path of least resistance...

Wine's great when it'll do the job -- I enjoy using it to run
Notepad++ under Ubuntu 7.04 -- but it has been my experience that Wine
won't readily support complex, multi-process, Adode-intensive,
"under-Windows" workflows the same way a true virtual machine will...

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley
x5633