[sf-lug] Need help with VirtualBox on openSUSE and Feisty (or Gutsy)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 9 10:06:39 PDT 2008

Quoting Ernest De Leon (edeleonjr at gmail.com):

> I don't think anyone gets offended per se...it's just pretty funny from a
> 3rd person perspective.  :)

As I said, *I* find amusing people insisting on interpreting a
substantive debate as interpersonal soap opera.  That point even made it
to my Lexicon page, quite a few years ago:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#moenslaw-debate1

  Moen's First Law of Debate

    "No matter what the issue, someone will try to turn it into a
    personality dispute." In part, this is because complex issues become
    more comprehensible if you convert them into soap opera, however
    inaccurately.  [...]

Call me a cynic, but I suspect that relatively few readers of this list
actually got my point about the reasons why requirements analysis and
competent system adminstration are essential for preventing a software
project, especially on *ix, from being a waste of time and a sour
experience for everyone.  On the other hand, _everyone_ understands the
concept of a dumb schoolyard brawl.

Perhaps you can tell me:  Why _is_ it a bad idea to install system
software in a user's home directory?  (Take your time, but no passing of
notes with your classmates.)