[sf-lug] Need help with VirtualBox on openSUSE and Feisty (or Gutsy)

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Apr 6 10:39:06 PDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 9:04 AM, Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> Here is my dilemma.  If we don't get XP working in a virtual machine,
> we will need to blow away Linux on these machines altogether, we will
> need to blow away Linux altogether and install XP natively, because
> getting Adobe Elements was the justification for acquiring these
> machines in the first place.  That would be sad, because students use
> these computers every day under Linux, and this is a marvelous
> opportunity to continue to expose students to Free Software.

Blowing away OpenSuSE is probably for the best, anyway. Save what you
want from that box, now. If you want KDE on it, install Sidux, or
Ubuntu for GNOME. Knoppix 5.3.1 (which I might bring today) has
eighteen different desktop options to boot into right on the disc. BTW,
Elements is for photo editing, not video editing. I believe I have
heard reports of it being used under WINE. Also, I only set up
VirtualBox, not the virtual machines themselves, so whether you put
them under a specific user or where multiple users had access (on the
Feisty box) was not a decision that involved me. Also, having only one
administrative account for all the teachers defeats the purpose of the
sudo system; everybody should have their own account, and which
accounts get sudo and which don't should be managed on an ad-hoc basis.
--
"Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do."
                                                       --National Lampoon