[sf-lug] Ubuntu-mentary

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:09:07 PDT 2008

hi

2008/3/25 Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com>:

> I saw this article on Ars about a Mac-umentary and thought it would be
> cool to make an Ubuntu-mentary and air it at a film festival.

Well, you are in luck!  I happen to have 370 hours of broadcast quality
footage from 6 nations and 3 continents in 11 languages describing the
interviewees' perspectives on Free Software and why it is cool and how they
think the global transition to Free Software will happen.  We have
interviewed the Mayor of Munich, the Culture Minister of Brazil, the Founder
of Wikipedia, and lots more.  We are an open source project, and so if you
join the project, you can shape it and influence the outcome and direction
of the film.  We need rough editors, transcribers, translators, animators,
fundraisers, and lots more.  There is plenty to do!

Here is my usual cut-and-paste description of the project:

I am producing a film called the Digital Tipping Point.  The DTP is a film
library project and a documentary film project that strives to do three
things:  1) build a great collection of video about the new human
renaissance that Free Open Source Software (FOSS) will bring to the world;
2) build a movie-in-a-box out of the 5 best hours of that footage; 3) create
an entertaining, informative documentary out of that library.  The film will
show how Free Open Source Software is in the process of creating an
explosion of creativity, literacy, and scientific advancement.  The target
audience is Windows users.  We want to make the film sufficiently fun that
even Windows users will be entertained.

We have filmed many dignitaries such as Christian Ude (the Mayor of Munich),
Hermann-Josef Pelgrim (the Mayor of Schwaebisch Hall), Gilberto Gil (the
Culture Minister of Brazil), and Luiz Millan Vazquez de Miguel, (the
Extremaduran Minister of Science, Education), and Jimmy Wales, the founder
of Wikipedia.  Our film is the first feature length documentary to be built
on-line out of fully forkable footage released under a Creative Commons
Attribute-ShareAlike license on the Internet Archive.

You can see our raw video here, where we currently have 59 hours of raw
video.  This video will need to be re-rendered for most applications other
than casual watching, as it is our "source code".

 http://www.archive.org/details.php?identifier=digitaltippingpoint

Our keyword search index page is located below.  It is the place to go to
find specific persons or themes for our footage.

http://tinyurl.com/yluwoc