[sf-lug] Full Disk Encryption options?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 24 17:44:34 PDT 2008

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> However, sustained physical access to any machine will always spell
> doom for the attacked.

I think "sustained", here, means "twice, for about ten minutes each
time".

On a related note, I herewith offer an additional concept for use by
anyone wishing to re-elevate this conversation:  "tamper-evident".

> On a completely separate now, all your GSM phone data are belong to
> some security researchers at the price of a $1000 device.  Yay!!!
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9063899&source=rss_topic17

I am _so_ not surprised.

Reminds me:  Were you aware of the Vodafone Greece caper?  Utterly
fascinating stuff.  USA spooks were among the chief suspects, but the
only guy likely to be able to say died under highly mysterious
circumstances.

(And when's the last time you read an article in _IEEE Spectrum_ that
was better reading than most spy novels?)

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/jul07/5280
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/feb/05/greece
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/feb/07/newmedia.media
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article727043.ece