[sf-lug] external usb hard drive

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 08:33:06 PDT 2008

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> But maybe you'd prefer to try a Debian testing/unstable system,
> instead.
> You want goodies; that's where they are!

How do these "goodies" compare with what's in Ubuntu: pretty much
the same?

> Me, I wouln't trust NTFS with my data on any operating system, so I'm
> not sure how to advise you.  Maybe the idea of ext2 drivers for the
> Win32 side has merit:  I have no experience with that.

Here's what I'm thinking:
It isn't _that_ important for me to be able to share the drive with
a MSWindows based system. (It would be nice but we can easily just get
another drive; in the end this may be what we would have done anyway.)
The consensus seems to be that using a different file system
(ext2 or ext3) would be the better solution.

But just having gone through the process of trying to get this set
up has been an education.

One little thing that is worrying me a bit:

Rick: you say "pretty sure it _did_ do exactly what you requested"
re: aptitude update
Based on what you've said about mixing stable with unstable/testing
presumably I should undo what was done-
Would a simple repeat of the same command _after_ removing or
commenting
out the #
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib
non-free
line in /etc/apt/sources.list do the trick?

Oh, and thank you for helping with the gpg advice. So much to learn...

alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com