[sf-lug] external usb hard drive

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 22:17:48 PDT 2008

--- Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> This may not be an optimal solution for you, but this is something I
> use
> on my laptop which has XP and Ubuntu 7.10 dual-boot setup. I have a
> ext3
> partition (I call it stuff) that is automounted by Ubuntu 7.10
> without
> any problems and on the Windows side, I use ext2fsd
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd) which allows me to mount
> the
> stuff partition from Windows as if it were a USB drive. So, I get to
> store data on a ext3 partition (and not ntfs, specs for which could
> theoretically change at any moment) and still read and write to it
> from
> Windows.
>
> I do the same for external USB and Firewire drives. Works well.

Thanks, Sameer, for your input.
There's a lot I think I'm learning here. Emphasis on "think!"
Am I right that to install a file system you have to have a clean
partition? You can't change file systems and expect data to remain
as before, n'est pas?
So could I partition the usb drive into more than one partition and
have a different file system on each, just the way one can do on
one's internal drive?
Would one use fdisk /dev/sda1?
This never occurred to me but now that you've made me think about it

hooked on Linux,
alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com