[sf-lug] external usb hard drive

Tyler Trafford ttrafford at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 22:08:48 PDT 2008

Alex Kleider wrote:
> --- Tyler Trafford <ttrafford at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alex Kleider wrote:
>>> I bought myself a Maxtor OneTouch4 Plus 750GB external usb hard
>> drive
>>> and am having difficulty getting it mounted on my _Debian_ machine.
>>> Having previously created a /maxtor directory
>>> I've tried
>>> # mount -t fuseblk /dev/sda1 /maxtor
>>> but get:
>>> unknown file type fuseblk
>>>
>>> # mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /maxtor
>>> initially made me very happy because I can now read the directory
>> Try "-t ntfs-3g", after making sure you have the ntfs-3g package
>> installed.
>

> Thanks, Tyler, for your prompt reply.
> Unfortunately I'm still stumbling:

> apt-cache search on my machine has never heard of ntfs-3g.
> I am running Etch.

Ah, it is available in Debian Backports:

example sources.list entry:
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

Then:
aptitude -t etch-backports install ntfs-3g

--
Tyler Trafford

A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from
the vexation of thinking.
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1831