[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux deployments in high schools around the world"

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 15:26:54 PDT 2008

This has been a pretty long winded post, but I feel that this type of
argument perpetuating itself is one of the reasons that some people view
Stallman as a cook and why Ubuntu has leaped over debian and slapped them on
the way over.  In the end, when all of the zealotry is put aside, you must
remember that the user experience is all that matters.  This is why Mac has
been gaining in popularity slowly but steadily (and I am not a fan of Mac.)
It would be much harder to convince a Mac user to leave Mac than a windows
user to leave windows.  (Please don't let this start a fLame war.)
Furthermore, you must also realize that the OS is just a platform for people
to use.  Whether it is work, play or something else, it is just an
interface.  I am all for the things that Linux and FOSS proper stand for,
but I am not going to get all worked up about any of it.  I love Linux (and
have for almost 14 years now) and want it to grow as fast as possible
without problems.  If someone wants to bicker over what makes up FOSS or if
a plugin, in a browser, on an OS, running on a kernel, on some hardware
should make a difference, then that person has way too much time on their
hands.  If you don't want to call it FOSS, call it a purple pig then.  Who
really cares?  The fact of the matter is that someone is being introduced to
a new operating system that enables them to do whatever they want to do.  If
it has a proprietary plugin installed to make the user experience easier and
better, then I'm all for it.  Bickering over stupid issues is why debian is
as stagnant as our economy and why other distributions are running with
innovation.  I seriously doubt calling a box with a flash plugin installed a
FOSS box is deliberately misleading.  Technically, flash is free (maybe a
different definition of free, but free none the less.)  All I know is that
the user experience has been enhanced for many people, no is suffering
because of it, and Linux is flourishing.  If you ask me, that's the best any
of us could ask for.

Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com

voiced by Benjamin Franklin