[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux...and "Purity"

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Mar 11 22:54:05 PDT 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Rick Moen wrote:

> Notably absent is Gobuntu, reportedly because (a/o 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon"),
> it still includes trademark-encumbered versions of Firefox and
> Thunderbird, which will be fixed with Hardy Heron.

Note that the issues with Firefox and Thunderbird are not trademark
issues, which are widely considered not a problem, but instead copyright
issues.  Mark Pilgrim, whose rants I love to love, writes about this at
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/10/18/gobuntu-has-already-failed .
I'll quote one essential portion:

Rick further wrote:

> There are also patent-related issues, about which see:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gobuntu/pkg-non-free

I personally think that the software patent issues are not very important;
so does Gobuntu, it seems.  Quoting
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gobuntu/pkg-non-free :

"Gobuntu does not have or need a separate attitude to software patents to
that of the Ubuntu project.

In the current software world it is common to see accusations of patent
violation which do not specify what patents are affected or how the
software violates them. While Ubuntu is prepared to take evidenced and
specified allegations of patent infringement seriously, without proof of
the patent infringement such accusations are worthless."

-- Asheesh.

--
<awkward> anyone around?
<Flav> no, we're all irregular polygons