[sf-lug] OLPC to become more like Microsoft...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Mar 11 21:28:43 PDT 2008

jim stockford wrote:
> well, seems to me that the folks in the other silo
> companies are pretty much the same: market
> share is the goal, as is the annual bonus.

When I ask my class about the ultimate goal of a company, they always
say profit and not service. My view is that service is the ultimate
goal, and if the value proposition is worthwhile, customers will pay. I
wouldn't put Microsoft in a different category from the others.
Microsoft gets the attention because of their market share. In a choice
between cooperating vs. defecting, they usually defect.

OLPC has very different goals, but they have to play the game with these
companies because they have to operate within the same ecosystem as
Microsoft, Intel, etc. They'll need a CEO who not only understands the
game, but can play hardball when necessary.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University