[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux...and "Purity"

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Tue Mar 11 21:05:14 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 18:29:48 Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> hi
>
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> > Yes, but he objects to your use of the term FOSS to describe something
> > that isn't entirely FOSS.  Not to your actions, simply to your words.
>
>  I understand, but what is a more appropriate term?  This is, after all,
> the San Francisco _Linux_ Users Group, not the San Francisco GNU/Linux
> Users Group.  This list varies widely in its use of "Free Software" and
> "Open Source Software" and Linux and GNU/Linux and FOSS, etc.
>
> So if flash is let's say 2 MB and the overall Ubuntu distro, which is on
> the boxes that we all (including Rick) installed during the March 1
> installfest, and if the size of the image before installing is 700 MB, then
> Flash constitutes 0.2% of the packages on the boxes that SF-LUG is giving
> out via the school.
Richard Stallman visited the Bay Area about a year ago and on 24 February 2007
visited CABAL and the Moen household. We prepared for the visit by installing
the Ututo Linux distribution on a computer at the Moen's because that was the
distro Richard used at the time on his laptop (and perhaps still does). I
asked about this distro and learned that it was, as I understand it, 100
percent free and open software and contained no proprietary software. Thus,
it might be considered pure free, open source software. I think it fair to
say that rms would pay attention to whether many or any components of a
system that he wold choose are proprietary.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ututo for more information where
it is claimed, "Ututo is based exclusively on Free/Libre Software."

IIRC this might have been the only distro that, in February 2007, was purely
free software.

--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our
mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
telephone: office- (831) 531-2916
home-   (408) 867-9377
mobile- (408) 568-1229