[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux deployments in high schools around the world"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 10 23:30:31 PDT 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> I am already getting more requests for FOSS boxes from the March 1
> installfest than I can handle, and I would love to get some help
> getting these boxes out to people.

As an aside, Christian, I think it's more than odd for you to
continually refer to these as free / open source software boxes, when
they include significant amounts of proprietary software -- and when in
fact you're a vocal proponent of including proprietary code.

I suspect my own machines are a great deal more close to 100%
unqualifiedly open source than any boxes you build or advocate -- and
mine still are from distros (Xubuntu and Debian) that _do_ offer
proprietary components, some of which, notably binary-only blobs in the
kernels, I actually even install, though I don't use them.

Anyhow, my current point is not to object to your fixation on including
proprietary software, but rather to point out that your calling the result
"FOSS boxes" is inappropriate, as they plainly are not that.

(I notice that Canonical has recently begun referring to proprietary
software as "commercial software", and not coincidentally has started to
sell it directly in a big way:
http://brutalblog.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/canonical-will-sell-proprietary-software-to-ubuntu-users/
)