[sf-lug] "Educating Tux: case studies of Linux deployments in high schools around the world"

Lx Rudis lx_rudis at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 10 12:57:51 PDT 2008

rileY:
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16984/1141/

great thought provoking link, riley.

...wouldn't this confirm that our real task is to
create a bunch of teenagers who turn their nose up at
the thought of using MS or OSx?  get them productive
for little or no cash, after a while they'll influence
the schools and administrators.

so why do people use MS or OSx?

for adults it's email and productivity.  some
socialization.

for kids, it's chat, newschool social actions and
media, especially non-linear media.

all this stuff can be done for free, or nearly for
free with linux.  using MS or OSx stuff costs money or
forces people to be criminals.

lot of criminals out there running cracks these days,
i see it all the time.  that's not a solution.  is it?

i thought Ubuntu could make good penetration, but
perhaps not.  i'm looking at things like dyne:bolic
which attempt to provide a solution, but seem to fail
with the public in spite of offering _exactly_ what a
youth audience claims to want.  for free.

what's missing?
what's not being considered?
what are _we_ ignoring when we evangelize?