[sf-lug] ps and grep

jim stockford jim at well.com
Thu Mar 6 18:24:04 PST 2008

(sorry, i can't help it: )
try
$ ps alx | grep " " | grep "  "

    the alx argument tells ps to format its output to
include the parent process id for each process
as well as the process id for each process.

    you should see the entire output of the ps
command because ps sends it all to the first
grep command which passes along all lines
that have at least one space character to the
second grep command which passes on all
lines that have two space characters to your
terminal output.
    well, all lines are certain to have two space
characters, so you'll see 'em all and you'll see
at the bottom that the two grep commands were
loaded before the ps command, which will be
below them.