[sf-lug] Fwd: [UMALUG] bash scripting question

Tyler Trafford ttrafford at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:22:53 PST 2008

Rick Moen wrote:

> 2.  I believe the question you meant to ask is "Does _git_ have a way
> to replicate to elsewhere (via "git clone" and so on), only the files
> that are readable by the world on the local Unix system?"  Feel free
> to investigate on your own how to restrict what "git clone" and such
> are willing to replicate.  (I'm way too busy to research that, myself,
> at the moment.  I'm also not a seasoned git user, and trying really
> hard not to solve problems with it that aren't necessary to my
> situation.)

I believe you can:

* clone /etc git repo to a secure work directory
* remove all sensitive/non-user readable files
* add list of files above to .gitignore
* commit
* move git repo to somewhere gitweb can see it

* from time to time, rebase your public repo against the one in /etc
* maintain up to date .gitignore for public repo

That could all be made automatic without too much trouble.
--
Tyler Trafford

A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from
the vexation of thinking.
                -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1831