[sf-lug] Fwd: [UMALUG] bash scripting question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 5 12:24:15 PST 2008

Quoting Tyler Trafford (ttrafford at gmail.com):

> Since the primary use I have for this is with etckeeper[1], I could
> potentially be looking at stuff where I don't want tempfiles, with
> sensitive data in them, to keep track of.
>
> That was my original thinking, in any case.
>
> [1] http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/etckeeper/

I've been testing out etckeeper myself on my new server, after writing
about it and predecessors for a couple of months in _Linux Gazette_[1].
Appears to fit the need really well.

The version (0.6) in Debian testing/unstable supports both git and hg
(Mercurial), but not yet Bazaar, for which Joey has a patch in process,
I believe.  The instructions are better for git than for Mercurial, so
I'm being a lazy, ahem, git, and going with git, for now.

[1] http://linuxgazette.net/144/misc/lg/version_control_for_etc.html
 http://linuxgazette.net/147/misc/lg/version_control_for_etc.html