[sf-lug] Sprint Mobile Broadband on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon

Doug Bierer doug at unlikelysource.com
Tue Mar 4 22:57:43 PST 2008

Jim, et al --

Have had tremendous success running a Sierra Wireless AirCard 595U with
Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (v7.10).  I posted my setup using the Gnome PPP
dialer.  Here's the URL:

http://www.unlikelysource.com/Reference/Sprint_Mobile_Broadband/index.html

Now ... onto a more interesting question ... namely "iptables."  Here's
the script I run at bootup.  I _believe_ I'm blocking all incoming
requests for services from eth1 (which is my wireless card) and ppp0
(which is the Sierra card).  Any comments???

#!/bin/sh

## Needed to track FTP
modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp

## Create chain which blocks new connections, except if coming from
inside.
iptables -N block
iptables -A block -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A block -m state --state NEW -i ! eth1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A block -m state --state NEW -i ! ppp0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A block -j DROP

## Jump to that chain from INPUT and FORWARD chains.
iptables -A INPUT -j block
iptables -A FORWARD -j block

db