[sf-lug] Fwd: [UMALUG] bash scripting question

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 22:51:30 PST 2008

OK, let's get picky...

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Michael Paoli
<Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>  of : would also make that first line a comment).  With execute

Is the : comment feature compliant and able to be utilized in any shell?

>  I mentioned before[1], but I'll also mention again that the <(list)
>  construct isn't POSIX/SUS[2][3] standards compliant.  One may be well
>  advised to generally code to the broadest applicable standards as
>  feasible, to avoid issues with portability and other potentially
>  unpleasant surprises and "gotchas".

What is an good alternative to opening up those nice file handles that
is compliant?  It i a nifty little feature, but then again, so is
/dev/tcp/80 or whatever that crap syntax is that is utterly confusing
(there is no device like that, but bash has this "feature" to somehow
interpret this as a raw port connect)...

>  cat -vet /proc/$$/cmdline; echo ''

-v is already implied by both -e and -t ;)  And the '' argument to
echo seems unnecessary, as echo without any arguments produces the
same effect...
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"It has been just so in all my inventions. The first step is an
intuition--and comes with a burst, then difficulties arise. This thing
gives out and then that--'Bugs'--as such little faults and
difficulties are called--show themselves and months of anxious
watching, study and labor are requisite before commercial success--or
failure--is certainly reached" -- Thomas Edison in a letter to
Theodore Puskas on November 18, 1878