[sf-lug] March 1 St. Anthony's Foundation outreach

Sarah Mei sarahmei at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:41:44 PST 2008

I was at the Novato location from 2-4 and was impressed by the
turnout. I think 6 people signed up on the wiki, but about 20 had
shown up by 2. Because of the low anticipated turnout, the organizers
had sent a truckload of boxes from Novato down to San Francisco, so we
were short on both hardware and stations. Plus, we had a breaker blow
at 3:55 which meant all the boxes in the process of getting their
install had to start over from the beginning. Argh...

Still, Peter and I managed to upgrade the RAM on half a dozen old IBM
boxes, swap out one dead drive, connect several disconnected CD
drives, and finish the Ubuntu install on one machine. We left 2 other
machines in the process of installing. It was very personally
rewarding and I am hopeful that the boxes will find good homes.

Jen (?), the organizer, mentioned that they do this every Thursday
night (at the Novato location) and it's open to the public to come on
down and help. I actually live in the city (but I was up in Marin all
day yesterday) and getting up to Novato on a weeknight after work is
pretty tough. I'd like to find something similar closer to home.

TL;DR version: anyone know of a volunteer place in the city where I
can go regularly to do this kind of thing?