[sf-lug] Linux show demos (was: Linux podcasts)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 27 13:17:31 PST 2008

Quoting Asheesh Laroia (asheesh at asheesh.org):

> Don't worry if you don't know what NSS is; all this is handled and on by
> default in modern distibutions.

Asheesh, I've written _lectures_ about Name Service Switch.  ;-> [1]

Although I'm aware of the existence of Avahi and other Zeroconf /
Rendezvous / Bonjour multicast-DNS resource-discovery implementations
(mDNSResponder/Howl/libhowl as designed by both Debian and Apple's Scott
Herscher, Novell's Mono-based -- yuck! -- mDnsResponder.Net, Mezcallo's
mod_dnsd for Apache httpd 2.x, Jeremie's mdnsd, Eric Fitchett's
Java-based MCastDiscovery, Dox Discovery, Multicast DNS Service
Discovery for Python, Eric Ries's Zerospan, Brad Hards and Zhendong's
zcip, tmdns, GNOME's gmdns, the KDE kdnssd ioslave, the KDElibs' kdnssd,
and so on), I have not yet tested those for Linux deployments -- so
you'll forgive me if I favour old-fogy solutions like pseudo-static IP
assignments in nameservers.  ;->

> Golly gee whiz, I whole-heartedly agree.

Gee willikers and by gum!  It's indeed keen being so wholesome, isn't it?  ;->

[1] (Insert traditional motto about grandmothers and egg-sucking, here.)