[sf-lug] Linux show demos (was: Linux podcasts)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 25 16:23:06 PST 2008

I wrote:

> At the time, one of our standard solutions was to deploy, on the largest
> monitors we had, the splashiest and least-typical X11 window managers of
> the day.

One of the other obvious themes you might want to stress is
network-oriented operations.  (Sit and think:  What is _different_ about
Linux?  One of the obvious difference is LAN/WAN capability from top to
bottom.)  E.g., borrow someone's OS X box and run it headless in the
corner, running VNC server, and then include among the X11 applications
running on your big, splashy Linux monitor a VNC client displaying some
remotely running MacOS X application that would be conventionally
considered utterly impossible on Linux.

And/or have some multiuser graphical games running, usable by multiple
people on multiple terminals simultaneously.  Back in the day, we would
use multiuser Doom for this.  I'm not a gamer, though, so you'll have to
figure the current analogue for yourself.  Battle for Wesnoth?  Dunno.

What else is different about Linux?  Support for every CPU platform on
the face of the planet, and installations from tiny to gargantuan.  How
about having a tiny, quiet MP3 streaming server running running Firefly
(see:  http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/AV/itunes.html)?  Maybe someone
wants to borrow my Cobalt Qube for that.  ;->

How about a client-server setup of MythTV stocked with episodes of
Doctor Who and Torchwood?

> People are so conditioned to simply grab free swag and then bury it in a
> desk drawer that, when CABAL member Eric de Mund mailed CABAL a care
> package of disks of the newly released Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04 "Gutsy Gibbon"
> for CABAL's library                                   ^^^^

7.10 (before someone else rushes to post the, basically pointless,
correction).