[sf-lug] Linux podcasts

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:22:07 PST 2008

I would be interested in setting up a couple of FOSS boxes with headphones
at your stand so that people could watch and listen to footage from the
Internet Archive's Digital Tipping Point Video Collection.  I am producing a
documentary film about how Free Open Source Software is changing the world
in general and one school in particular.  The tag line for the film is "Set
One School Free".  The question asked by the film is whether we can set just
one public middle school Free, meaning move the whole school to Free Open
Source Software.  That school is located in San Francisco.

The DTP is a film library project and a documentary film project that
strives to do three things:  1) build a great collection of video about the
new human renaissance that Free Open Source Software (FOSS) will bring to
the world; 2) build a movie-in-a-box out of the 5 best hours of that
footage; 3) create an entertaining, informative documentary out of that
library.  The film will show how Free Open Source Software is in the process
of creating an explosion of creativity, literacy, and scientific
advancement.  The target audience is Windows users.  We want to make the
film sufficiently fun that even Windows users will care.

We have filmed many dignitaries such as Christian Ude (the Mayor of Munich),
Hermann-Josef Pelgrim (the Mayor of Schwaebisch Hall), Gilberto Gil (the
Culture Minister of Brazil), and Luiz Millan Vazquez de Miguel, (the
Extremaduran Minister of Science, Education), as well as cultural leaders
such as Larry Lessig (Creative Commons founder) and Jimmy Wales (Wikipedia
Founder).  Our film is the first feature length documentary to be built
on-line out of fully forkable footage released under a Creative Commons
Attribute-ShareAlike license on the Internet Archive.

You can see our raw video here, where we currently have 59 hours of raw .mpg
and .ogg video (not raw .dv).  This video will need to be re-rendered for
most uses other than casual watching, as it is our "source code".

 http://www.archive.org/details.php?identifier=digitaltippingpoint

Our keyword search index page is located below.  It is the place to go to
find specific persons or themes for our footage.

http://tinyurl.com/yluwoc

Chris, if you think this would be useful, I will be happy to set it up.  We
really just want to get our footage out to the world to let people play with
it.

I would also be interested in having my camera there to film people's
reactions to your booth.

Thanks either way for considering my request.

Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point