[sf-lug] March 1 St. Anthony's Foundation outreach

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:08:02 PST 2008

hi

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):
>
> > Maybe we could look at it as 5 installfest locations, rather than four.
> > ;-)    Just imagine that we had 5 installfest locations.  We would need
> > populate all five of them.
>
> Two of them in close geographic proximity.  Not a good problem to have
> to solve, in my experience.

I agree.  And we tried to avoid this date conflict, but were unable to do
so.  So now the question is how best to respond to this opportunity to do
both lots and lots of installs and do public outreach.  Recall, we are going
to need a ready downstream destination for these boxes, and while James does
have a list of recipients, it is good to be able to provide him with more
options for placements locally, IMHO.

Becoming hooked on secret proprietary data formats is, ultimately, just
> not a good idea in the first place.

I agree completely.  Unfortunately, many end users require some type of
Internet video capability.  For example, at the KIPP school, the teachers
use YouTube to let the kids watch videos about notable African Americans
currently, this being Black History month.  Fortunately they are able to do
that with the PClinuxOS boxes that are in some of the teachers' rooms.  As
soon as we are able to get that functionality with Free Software, I will be
very glad to uninstall all the non-Free packages and formats on those
boxes.  This is a really deep problem for freedom at the KIPP school.