[sf-lug] March 1 St. Anthony's Foundation outreach

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 20 23:28:09 PST 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> Correct.  These two events do conflict.  That is why a number of us are
> trying to drum up excitement, because we are going to need lots of
> volunteers that day with FOSS skills.

I just wanted to make sure that we were clear on your wish to _divert_
some of the limited pool of available volunteers, away from the existing
installfest effort, to the St. Anthony's one you speak of.  One might
easily have read your initial post's opening ("I would like to encourage
people to consider signing up for the two March 1 events") as
recommending doing _both_.

> > Can you point out to me where the Tenderloin event's materials say
> > anything at all about open source / free software?  I can't seem to
> > find any such mention, and the bit about "installing and
> > demonstrating" antivirus software suggests MS-Windows to me.
>
> Yes, please watch this CNet video....

I'm afraid I do not have any proprietary Macromedia Flash software -- or
any other proprietary software, actually -- on my machine, so I would
have difficulty doing that.

Anyhow, thank you for mentioning that it's possible to infiltrate Linux
into such events.  That's a valid point, and it's A Good Thing to do so.

My concern was with the way you characterised the event in your earlier
message:

    Both of these events have common goals:  getting FOSS into the hands
    of those who need it.

The reason I asked about "where the Tenderloin event's materials say
anything at all about open source / free software" is that I could find
no evidence of such a goal in St. Anthony's case -- and you've now
confirmed that they _have_ no such goals; only certain volunteers such
as you and Jim have, thus far.