[sf-lug] Running "standard" X-windows in addition to Gnome / KDE? (RBV)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Feb 17 08:31:37 PST 2008

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 06:36:08PM -0800, RBV wrote:
> I *believe* that what I've been thinking about may be something called "Motif"(?)  It's the somewhat less glitzy looking X-windows programs that are neither Gnome nor KDE.  One example of the sort of "pre-Gnome/KDE" GUI environment I'm thinking about is exemplified by the "nedit" text editor.

Motif was more of a widget toolkit (kind of like Qt that KDE uses, and
GTK+ that GNOME uses -- not that something doesn't HAVE to be GNOME- or KDE-
based to be GTK+- or Qt-based.  GNOME and KDE are thier _own_ sets of
libraries), not an environment.

You might be looking for a particular Window Manager, such as FVWM2.
I haven't used it in a long, long time, but it should be possible to
install and launch an FVWM-based X session from your current "desktop manager"
(the login screen when X first launches), be in KDE's KDM or GNOME's GDM or
the more generic XDM.

PS - When it comes to look-n-feel, you could probably find a nice, non-glitzy
looking Qt or GTK+ widget theme and KWin or (whatever Window Manager GNOME
uses these days) theme.

Here's a CDE theme for KDE:

  http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/CDE+theme?content=36103

(Sounds like a "Motif" style already comes with KDE.)

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/