[sf-lug] switching from ssh server to terminal: can it be done and if so, how?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Feb 15 16:06:37 PST 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Alex Kleider wrote:

> Here's the scenario: while at work I ssh (using putty on a windows
> machine although I don't _think_ that part is relevant) on to my home
> computer where I begin to use mutt to compose an email to a friend. In
> the midst of my vim session composing the body of the message I get
> distracted and end up going home forgetting all about the message until
> I'm at the computer on which is running the ssh server handling that
> unfinished job.

Common for me too, I'm afraid!

> Here's the question: can I switch that job to a terminal so that I can
> complete the message and send it off?

I've always thought it should be possible to attach to the program(s) in
question with a debugger, close stdout and stderr, and re-open them as
file desecriptors to a new terminal.  I've never tried such a trick - has
anyone on the list?

-- Asheesh.

--
Everything might be different in the present if only one thing had
been different in the past.