[sf-lug] Fwd: [Gllug] Local Linux root exploit

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Feb 10 19:21:55 PST 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> Very bad :-(

Luckily there's a "hot patch" - you just patch out the vulnerable function
in memory.  It's a lot of fun, and usually safe.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=464953#14 reports that it
did hang someone's machine.  It seems to have worked fine for my friend
who ran it on my server that's a few thousand miles from either of us....

-- Asheesh.

--
Barometer, n.:
 	An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we