[sf-lug] february 20 tech meeting of CCSF and non-profits

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:54:00 PST 2008

hi,

For those who would like to start forming FOSS advocacy relationships with
the City & County of San Francisco and various non-profits that provide
services to CCSF staff and SF residents, there is a meeting on 2/20/08 as
discussed below as part of the movement underway to increase the digital
literacy in SF.  One example of this movement was the very fine effort
started by Jim Stockford, Tom Haddon, and Kami Griffiths in regard to the
St. Anthony's Tenderloin Tech day that was featured in this Cnet video:

http://www.news.com/Tenderloin-Tech-Day/1606-2_3-6223419.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

That video was a major score for Tux fans everywhere, because it features
Ubuntu Linux as being a solution for a guy for whom Microsoft Windows was
not a solution.  The reporter uses the word Ubuntu and features Ubuntu
logos.  That event was organized, in part, by Kari Gray, who has been
instrumental in setting up the 2/20/08 event.  This event will be a rough
planning meeting for a subsequent event to be held at the Mission Cultural
Center at 2450 Harrison Street at 21st in San Francisco's Latino Mission
district 9.  An agenda for that meeting follows the meeting announcment.
The April event is expected to draw around 200 people to familiarize them
with the services that they can find on-line, and to acquaint them with the
various tech centers in SF.  The April event will feature child care and
food and will run in the afternoon on some Sat that is yet to be
determined.

These events (in Feb and April) are going to be dominated by Microsoft
Windows users, and the concept of GNU Linux and freedom in cyberspace is
still very much a foreign and questionable concept to many of the people who
will attend these events.  So we are still very much at the introduction
phase, and yet at the last meeting, many of these people seemed open to the
idea of trying Linux on a pilot project.

Details of the meeting are below, and the agenda for that meeting is farther
below.  Thanks to anyone who is interested in attending.

*********************************

TechConnect First Community Technology Meetup!

CTN Bay Area and TechConnect invite you to attend the first Community
Technology Meetup! Each month we will tour a different organization in
the Bay Area that offers technology programs. Learn about their
programs and what they are doing to provide digital opportunities in
their community. We will share ideas, innovative curriculum and
resources. Most importantly, we will begin to build networks to
facilitate partnerships.

When: Wednesday, February 20 from 4pm-6pm

Where: Goodwill, 1500 Mission Street, San Francisco

Refreshments will be provided, please RSVP:
http://communitybuilders.meetup.com/56/calendar/7154485/

Become a member of this Meetup and receive announcements for future events!

I look forward to seeing you there!

 As I mentioned, the start of every successful event is knowing what your

--
Kari Gray
www.SFConnect.org

--