[sf-lug] memory integrity checking / excluding bad memory

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 15:33:43 PST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 2:54 PM, Alex Kleider <a_kleider at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Also, please, what's the command to exclude the memory that is
> discovered to be bad?

Sameer already told you the other answer, but here's this one.  There
is a neat trick that Asheesh came up with, that I didn't know of, that
allows you to restrict the running kernel memory mapping to a selected
allocated chunk.  Basically, we passed the kernel the mem=512M option
so that we could exclude the dim module that we thought was bad, and
thus prevent it form being utilized in the OS during installation.
However, we are not sure how that option is implemented.  Does it grab
the first 512 megs of RAM, distribute it across both sticks, just grab
randomly from a chunk pool?  We didn't investigate.  However, it
didn't work (perhaps the first DIMM was bad?), but I;m sure if anyone
has info on how that is implemented we would love to hear about it :-)
 Not gonna go dig the sources myself right now...heh
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."