[sf-lug] Xorg HDTV-out from laptop to 32" 720p widescreen LCD via composite?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 31 21:48:58 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:16 AM, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> OK, so this is probably a nightmare that no one wants to troubleshoot,
> but it has me stumped.  Now, I have setup multi-monitor displays and
> TV out configs numerous times.  The new variable here is a 32" LCD
> HDTV.  The model of the TV is at the link below with a writeup.
>
> http://www.marklangenfeld.com/2007/06/02/product-review-emerson-lc320em8-32%E2%80%99%E2%80%99-lcd-tv/
>
> Now, I have an nvidia card, and tried the native TV-out options.  It
> works, but it doesn't look pretty.  Seems like its all grey with no
> colors and the resolution does not look sharp at all.  Basically, all
> I had to do to test it was add the lines below.
>
> Option      "TVStandard" "HD720p" #NTSC-M would be approriate for old
> low-res TVs (approx 640x480 interlaced)
> Option      "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE" #I don't have HDMI port on my
> laptop, or component out, just the nvidia port linked with an
> S-VIDEO->Composite cable

TVStandard HD720p isn't going to fly with TVOutFormat COMPOSITE.
Composite video is maximum 720x480, interlaced. You'll have to set
TVStandard NTSC-M with Composite. To use the HD720p (or any other HD*
option), you need to be outputting via Component video. DVI, VGA and
HDMI, everything should just behave like its a monitor (at least, my
HDTV has always simply been fed via DVI like it was a 1920x1080p
monitor).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com