[sf-lug] Pointers for how to track down source of system hang

Mark K. Zanfardino mark at zanfardinoconsulting.com
Thu Jan 31 14:07:49 PST 2008

Kristian,

I can say unequivocally that I *am* using the proprietary nvidia
driver.  This is to provide the 3D support that Compiz requires.  I can
certainly try running the system without it installed for some period of
time.

As to the gap time between faults, I can only give a rough estimate, as
it's variable.  Some times the system hangs multiple time in one day
with a gap time ranging from < an hour to > 4+ hours.  However, other
times the system remains stable for several days.

As of today I've gone back to running without Compiz but have re-enabled
the audio (it's a necessity for some of the development work I'm doing)
and thus far it's remained stable, but that's no indication of whether
or not it will remain so.

As an aside, it has at times remained very stable over as long as a week
or more with both Compiz running and the sound driver installed, which
makes me think it's going to be something else.  The key for me is to be
sure I'm checking all relevant logs and that I have all possible logging
enabled.  I've stated the four (4) files I'm aware of, but would love
feedback on other sources of information.

I'd really like to know if there is someway to verify my empirical finds
through log files.  If for instance I consistently find some anomaly
after a crash I could check it against on-going logging for when the
system appears stable.  Can I enable additional system logging?  Are
there other log files I should be looking at?  Is there a way to capture
on a continuous basis the current memory utilization (I'm kinda reaching
on this one)?  Anything else I can look at?

I'm still relatively new to Linux and as such I don't know if there are
more places I can be looking for clues.  God knows what I have is far
more than I could have expected were I to attempt to troubleshoot a
similar issue with windows!

Cheers!

Mark