[sf-lug] Pointers for how to track down source of system hang

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:18:00 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 11:29 AM, Mark K. Zanfardino
<mark at zanfardinoconsulting.com> wrote:
> I've tried to identify any anomaly (as far as I can ascertain) in these
> files around the time of the hang.  The only thing I've ever found that
> stands out is a reference to my audio driver (snd-hda-intel).  In an
> attempt to resolve whether or not it the audio driver causing the
> problem I've removed the file snd-hda-intel.ko from
> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/media/snd-hda-intel (I've kept a
> copy) and rebooted.

Can you ensure that you are not using the proprietary nvidia driver?
Do the same with ensuring that module is not involved, use the "nv"
driver instead, and see how far that gets you.  What is the gap-time
between faults, generally?  Is it cpu/disk/time driven?
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."