[sf-lug] $199 Linspire Desktop at Sears

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 31 12:42:23 PST 2008

Quoting Charles N Wyble (charles at thewybles.com):

> I have to disagree with you there. Freespire is a very mature and
> stable product whereas Fedora is a platform for continuous integration
> and testing and is in a constant state of flux. It has very recent
> apps with the associated bugs and features. :)
>
> Whereas FreeSpire is Linspire without the proprietary stuff included.
> Also I believe It's based on Ubuntu. I don't know why Canonical and
> Linspire don't merge.  If they did it would give Canonical a US
> presence and sales force/distribution channel.

OK, fair enough.  I'll have to remember to look at it, next time I'm
trying a bunch of distros.

Am currently mostly on an old iBook PPC laptop (running Xubuntu), which
would tend to wean one off most restrictively licensed software, if only
because that stuff's almost all i386-only.  ;->  (I do wonder when
publishers of proprietary software for Linux are going to realise that
IA32 is so very last millennium.)