[sf-lug] phpmyadmin error with mysql

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Wed Jan 30 00:04:42 PST 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On 1/29/08, David Sterry <david at sterryit.com> wrote:
>
>>  I have a question and have a hard time finding an answer through normal
>> channels. I'm running Centos and use phpmyadmin to manage my databases.
>> Unfortunately every once in a while from months to weeks, phpmyadmin cannot
>> connect to mysql. The error I get is:
>>
>> phpMyAdmin - Error
>>
>> #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is
>> not correctly configured)
>>

>> in the past, I've restarted the mysql server and it's "fixed" the problem
>> but I'm not sure how to figure out what's the root cause. Any ideas?
>>

> DId you check /var/log/ ???

I just spent a few minutes looking in /var/log/ with a 'grep -rli mysql
*' but didn't see any mysql errors in messages or secure. I also found
/var/lib/mysql/host.domain.com.err ending like this which looks ok to me:

080118  2:54:42  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 70515885
080118  2:54:42 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete
080118 02:54:42  mysqld ended
080118 02:54:44  mysqld started
080118  2:54:44  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 70515885
/usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'  port: 0  MySQL Community Edition -
Standard (GPL)

Finally, I went to /var/lib/mysql and see mysql.sock= there right where
it's supposed to be. It's still in the broken state so hopefully I can
find the anomaly.