[sf-lug] FCC Inquiry into Network Throttling

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:32:06 PST 2008

Just a quick reminder about the Comcast throttling p2p traffic inquiry by
the FCC.  If you are an unfortunate Comcast customer (as I am by way of a
"special agreement" between my apartment complex and Comcast), and you have
noticed marked slow downs in your service, particularly when downloading
torrents, please read this article and send your comments to the FCC.  They
are taking in information until the end of Feb (I think) to make a final
decision regarding this matter.  The article explains Comcast's underhanded
methods of shaping traffic and deals with their over advertised yet under
delivered service.  Even if you are not a Comcast customer, if you believe
in concepts like Net Neutrality and the common carrier law, then send a
comment in anyway.  The only way to stop companies like Comcast from taking
advantage of customers is to speak out against them.  Hopefully this inquiry
will pave the way for more legal repercussions and the eventual forcing of a
truly open network upon those that wish to charge customers for such.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080114-fcc-officially-opens-proceeding-on-comcasts-p2p-throttling.html

Thanks,
--
Ernest de Leon