[sf-lug] OLPC info for the frustrated (Kristian Erik Hermansen)

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:16:01 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 2:59 PM, Sarah Mei <sarahmei at gmail.com> wrote:
> Two observations here:
> 1. Fulfillment and support are two very different business operations.
> Fulfillment effort is very often underestimated, even by industry
> veterans (witness the ongoing Wii shortage). It's not uncommon for an
> org to be ready to offer support if they could only get the units into
> customer's hands...

I admit it.  I am a trouble maker.  When I couldn't find a Nintendo
Wii in my neighborhood, since they were all gone and on backorder, I
took the initiative to find a way to get one -- in 5 minutes.  No I
didn't use Craigslist...
http://www.kristian-hermansen.com/wordpress/2007/09/04/how-to-buy-a-nintendo-wii-in-5-minutes/

> I don't think, though, that this is a case of interesting technology
> distracting from practical issues. The XO folks seem very
> eyes-on-the-prize - and the prize in this case is putting laptops in
> the hands of children in the developing world. All other issues,
> including, sadly, delivery of my XO, are secondary. As a donor,
> though, I kind of appreciate that. :)

You make some really great points, so I don't want to detract from
them.  I just don't like the fact that OLPC has claimed that I would
get one by a certain date.  If you do this over and over again, and
get it wrong every time, how can I trust such an organization?  What
else are they doing wrong that I don't know about?  It's a slippery
slope argument, and a logical fallacy, but it bears some weight.  I
don't really care, personally, when I receive mine.  However, I
definitely don't like being mislead about when I will receive it ...
multiple times...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."