[sf-lug] Black hats declare war on Scientology

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 25 03:47:38 PST 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> But the problem is, they are using FOSS tools to do so, and I'm
> wondering to what extent this will create a backlash against FOSS in
> general in the mind of the general public.

Didn't you know that free / open source software has always been holy
and pure, and that it's utterly inconceivable that it could ever be used
for anything bad?  E.g., I'm absolutely certain that nobody has ever
used snort or nmap to do resource discovery before intruding into
someone else's network without permission.

I recently heard alarming rumours that bank robbers, murderers, and
other criminals sometimes wear eyeglasses and drive automobiles.  As an
astygmatic motorist, I'm afraid that this shocking new disclosure will
cause a backlash against users of those two types of tools, tainting
them by association.