[sf-lug] Follow up to text editing discussions at Monday night's SF-LUG meeting

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 22:19:46 PST 2008

Riley's post:
> First, the "It's all Text" add-on for Firefox:
>
> "Edit text areas using an external editor, because it's all text!
> Right click on a text area, select "It's All Text!" and edit the text
> in the editor of your choice. Alternatively, click on the edit
> buttons added for your convenience. Right click on the edit buttons
> for even more options, including preferences."
>
> Second, the (possibly masochistic) Vimperator add-on for Firefox:
>
> "Vimperator is a free browser add-on for Firefox, which makes it look
> and behave like the Vim text editor. It has similar key bindings, and
> you could call it a modal web browser, as key bindings differ
> according to which mode you are in."

Tom was kind enough to walk me through configuring my laptop to
(optionally) use gvim (vim-gnome) when entering text while in firefox.
I'm now at home trying to configure my belmont machine which  is NOT
running gnome! I've got fluxbox here. So the question becomes, which
version of vim do I want to download.
Can you help, Tom?
Is Vimperator, that Riley mentions, what I want?
alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com