[sf-lug] Specify a delay for CAPS LOCK key?

RBV GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 29 11:39:29 PST 2007

> Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:33:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: Alex Kleider <a_kleider at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Specify a delay for CAPS LOCK key?
>
> --- RBV <GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> .... how I can specify a delay for my CAPS LOCK
>
> Sorry I can't help, but am very curious as to what purpose this might serve.

Alex:

It prevents accidental activation of CAPS LOCK while typing.  That is to say
that one must consciously press and hold CAPS LOCK for some period of time
to activate CAPS LOCK.

As I stated, there are a number of third-party little programs for Windows
which provide this functionality.  While I've found a number of ways to
customize keyboard operation or change key assignments under (Ubuntu) Linux,
I've found no way to impose a delay on the operation of CAPS LOCK.

So far, the normally helpful Ubuntu Forums as well several Web searches have
failed to produce a solution.  I'm sure that at some (presumably deeply
internal) level of Linux it surely can be accomplished, but I'm not
knowledgeable enough to go to that level...

Cheers,
Riley
SFO