[sf-lug] NetworkManager vs cmd line!

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Sat Dec 29 11:26:24 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 11:03 -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
> > Sorry, been away from the Internet (gasp) for the Xmas break...
>
> It was probably good for you:-)
> Other than that hope you had a good time.
>
> > Are you sure your internal router doesn't function as a DNS server? I
> > know my SBC DSL modem does.
>
> Frankly I'm not sure of anything BUT the fact that /etc/resolv.conf was
> getting overwritten with the internal IP address of my router makes me
> think that my router was making networkmanager incorrectly think that
> it could provide DNS services.
>
> > Yes, NetworkManager will overwrite resolv.conf if it's being used at
> > all.
>
> Not very nice of it :-) Why would it decide to do so?

Because this is part of it's job (setting up networking). Assigning an
IP address isn't much good unless you also set up a DNS server (imagine
you're roaming to a new network with completely different DNS servers.

> > It sounds like NetworkManager is overwriting the file. Typically it
> > will
> > leave a comment in the file to that effect, though.
>
> No comment was ever there! Could that be reason to believe that
> NetworkManager is NOT the culprit?

Yeah, that does suggest it might not be the culprit. Mine has a comment
that says:

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

> > remove NetworkManager from your "Sessions" options so that it doesn't
> > startup on session login and see if that fixes (i.e. doesn't
> > overwrite
> > resolv.conf) for you.
>
> I'll try that (along with chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf)
> and see how things behave.

Does anyone know if there's a way to log what processes are trying to
change a file?