[sf-lug] Advantages of distro package regimes

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:47:40 PST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 12:21 PM, Charles N Wyble <charles at thewybles.com> wrote:
> Yes there are many skilled attackers in the wild. I have battled them
> many times. I have always won. Always.

"Always and never are two words you should always remember never to
use." -- Wendell Johnson

> Um... I wasn't talking about that at all. I was referring to the reason
> that so many ports appeared to be open/available.

Yes, and my point was that having a honeynet cannot protect you from
DNS infrastructure attacks (in this situation).  The number of open
ports is only helpful if you start seeing requests/attacks come in for
them.  But if I call the DNS registrar on the phone, what honeypot
will detect me?  I understand your point in the other case though :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."