[sf-lug] Successful so far....

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sat Dec 22 19:50:44 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 17:55 -0800, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> hi
>
> On Dec 22, 2007 5:14 PM, vincent polite <vpolitewebsiteguy at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>         Ok. I installed the latest Ubuntu, dual booted with vista.
>         But, for some reason. I can't connect to the internet. The
>         device driver is disabled, in uppercase letters. How do you
>         enable a device driver?
>

> have you tried asking on the Ubuntu IRC channel?  You can often get
> live feedback there.
>
> Maybe Ubuntu didn't recognize your NIC.  Are you on a notebook or a
> desktop?  it would be really helpful to tell us what hardware you
> have.

here's a way to do that.  open a termanial (in ubuntu, you can find the
terminal program under the Applications" menu, Applications -->
Accessories).  then typethe following command:

lspci

that will tell you what hardware is currently connected to the machine.
You can look through the list and figure out the name of your wireless
card.  And hten ask here again, though for me the next step would be to
look for the name of the driver in the output of this command:

dmesg

which you can search thus:

dmesg | grep ipw3945

if ipw3945 is the name of your driver.