[sf-lug] Ubuntu 7.10 Video Problem

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:14:54 PST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 11:35 AM, Ted Nebus <x351912 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I started to install Ubuntu 7.10 (i386).  During boot up it started to
> switch into the graphics mode. It but kept switching back to text
> perhaps looking for the right video settings(?).  Ultimately it gave
> me a message to the effect of
>
> The video server has been restarted about 6 times in the last 90
> seconds.  Will try again in 2 minutes.

You could try to install using the "Safe Graphics Mode" option in the
boot up list...

> I put in my xubuntu 6.10 (i386) cd which I had handy, and it didn't
> have this problem.  I was able to install.  This however had a problem
> with the partitioner I was able to make a 10 gig / a 5 gig /home and a
> 8 gig swap.  I wanted the remainder of the 500 gig SATA drive to be
> /shared.   It gave me a message saying that I could not start the
> partition before the start (or something like that).  I figured I
> would settle that later.  After rebooting I put in the Ubuntu 7.10
> disk, added it to my repositories and tried to install ndiswrapper.
> It told me that I could not because I didn't have the correct libc6 in
> the repositories.
>
> Ideally, I want Ubuntu 7.10 on my system.

Sounds like you have a mix of both 6.10 and 7.10, and the 7.10 apps
require a newer libc6?  Who knows, but try this...

$ sudo sed -i "s/edgy/gutsy/g" /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo aptitude update
$ sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
$ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."