[sf-lug] best console video games?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Dec 20 12:07:16 PST 2007

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2007 8:24 PM, Jim Cortez <jim at jimcortez.com> wrote:
>> What do you mean by console-based? Are you trying to do console
>> emulation, or are you asking about consoles that support Linux
>> installations?
>
> Any game that does not require X running to play :-)  For instance,
> any game that you could even possibly play over SSH!

The old Zork dungeon games are console-based, and can run on Linux (all
it needs is a linux-based z-code interpreter - e.g.,
http://jzip.sourceforge.net/), and they're still fun to play.  I
packaged for them on my favorite distro (Arch Linux) a while back:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=zork.

Another console-based game is battleship:  http://www.catb.org/~esr/bs/

I'm sure there's others too, but these are just off the top of my head.

Of course, these are all pretty old.  Not sure if there's newer, more
exciting ones available.

HTH,

DR