[sf-lug] NTFS resize failing...

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:04:21 PST 2007

This may sound stupid, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but
many times when I have run into this it's because windows did not shut down
properly or something like that.  Try to restart windows, verify that the
all of the data is to the front of the disk like you want, put the gparted
(or whatever tool) in the drive, and make sure windows shuts down normally
and properly.  Basically you are making sure that the NTFS partition is
clean when you shut down.  Now turn on the PC and go into the tool and make
your changes.

Hopefully this works for you.

Ernest

On Dec 20, 2007 9:31 AM, Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Hoping someone can help here...
>
> My missus was so impressed with mythbuntu (which I've recently setup for
> us with an old laptop) that she's decided it's time for her to try out
> Ubuntu. I'd like to go the dual boot method, and have defragmented and
> compacted her disk layout, but then trying both gparted (Ubuntu and
> SystemRescueCD) and diskdrake (PC Linux OS), neither was able to resize
> the ntfs partition.
>
> She has a 55GB disk that's got over 24GB free and I've made sure the
> space is all at the tail end of the drive per Windows Disk Defragmenter
> layout. I was planning to resize the Windows partition to 40GB, leaving
> 15GB for Ubuntu.
>
> Any ideas what the problem could be? gparted only lets me resize by 8MB
> either way, and diskdrake says ntfsresize failed (before I've even told
> it by what values I want to resize).
>
> Thanks, Tom

Join the Ron Paul Revolution
http://www.prezronpaul.com