[sf-lug] best console video games?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Dec 19 21:52:30 PST 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2007 8:24 PM, Jim Cortez <jim at jimcortez.com> wrote:
>> What do you mean by console-based? Are you trying to do console
>> emulation, or are you asking about consoles that support Linux
>> installations?
>
> Any game that does not require X running to play :-)  For instance,
> any game that you could even possibly play over SSH!

It's not a game, and it's best experienced with sound, but the true feel
of the Raw Power of the Console is found in aalib; and the true demo of
aalib is an amazing program called bb.

apt-get it and let me know what you think.  (BTW, the Ubuntu version was
broken for a couple of years and would freeze early on in the animations;
if that happens, let me know; it's high time someone filed a bug if no one
else has....)

(I just reproduced that bug here on my Ubuntu Gutsy laptop; I suppose if
you get it too, then 'tis bug-filin' time for those Masters of the
Universe.)

You could also warm up by the soothing colors of cacafire.

-- Asheesh.

--
We seldom repent talking too little, but very often talking too much.
 		-- Jean de la Bruyere