[sf-lug] Youtube Issues

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 7 19:14:04 PST 2007

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> Since ubuntuguide.org encourages the use of third-party repositories
> as well, and we seem to agree that this is a bad thing, then
> ubuntuguide.org should also be considered harmful.  I wrote up
> something about this a while ago...
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2007-June/000469.html

There's sort of a hierarchy of badness:

Maintained distro packages by official maintainers: good
Distro official source packages, built locally by pkg tools: still good.
Third-party packages by reputable, capable people who maintain them: less good.
Upstream source tarballs:  beware.  Use only if there aren't better options.
Stuff from nowhere in particular:  just don't go there.

Problem is, newcomers have no idea about these things or their
rationales.  They just do whatever wacky thing they find mentioned
somewhere.