[sf-lug] Ooops -- Buying a USB drive to use with your Linux computer? Beware of the FreeAgent series from Seagate...

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Dec 7 13:10:18 PST 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, RBV wrote:

> If you're shopping for a USB drive, read this story first:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux
>
> Excerpts:
>
>> SEAGATE'S latest batch of drives, the ironically titled Free Agent
>> series are not compatible with the Open Sauce operating system Linux.
>>
>> The problem is to do with the power-saving systems on Seagate's latest
>> range of drives...

And the solution is at e.g.
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent
.

To be preicse:

 	(eg: /usr/bin/sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 /dev/sda)

 	You can put this command in your /etc/init.d/rc.local if needed.

Thanks for the heads-up, because I actually just bought one a few months
back.

-- Asheesh.

--
What do you give a man who has everything?  Penicillin.
 		-- Jerry Lester