[sf-lug] Is there a way to analyze the traffic through my router?

RBV GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 7 10:21:52 PST 2007

> Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:47:37 -0800
> From: "Mark K. Zanfardino" <mark at zanfardinoconsulting.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] Is there a way to...
>
> Is there a way to analyze the traffic through my router?  I'm not sure
> that I'm asking is correctly, so let me set up a scenario: I've been a
> Vontage customer for a little over a year now.  Up until a few months
> ago the service was crystal clear.  However, a few months back I notices
> that the calls are not choppy, evidence of packet loss I suspect.
>
> So I'm wonder if there is a way in which I could analyze the data stream
> and see if I might be able to identify a trend in packet priorities or
> something of that nature.

Perhaps Wireshark?  Per that program's Web site, "Wireshark is the world's
foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the de facto (and often de jure)
standard across many industries and educational institutions."

See http://www.wireshark.org/about.html

I run Wireshark under Ubuntu Feisty.  One can configure bespoke Wireshark
capture sessions to capture and filter network traffic from one or more
network interfaces.  Filtering, especially, enables you to focus on specific
types of traffic...

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley